Blend is currently hiring a QA Practice Manager to help support our project management and development teams.
The QA Practice Manager is responsible for maintaining the overall quality of Blend projects — from start-to-finish websites to ongoing support and accessibility auditing — and is often the person responsible for giving final sign-off before our clients receive a new feature or site.
Blend’s web development process follows an agile-ish approach, developing along a launch-specific timeline broken into sprints. We have worked with dozens of content management systems in the past, but currently focus on Episerver and Umbraco, with some outstanding clients on Drupal.
You will collaborate with developers, project managers, and our strategic design team, as well as directly with clients. In addition, this position is responsible for client training.
The QA Practice Manager is responsible for fulfilling the following four roles:
- Testing: Creating, performing, and communicating results of tests for client and internal web projects and features, including creation of manual and automated test scripts, maintenance of user stories, ownership of accessibility and performance testing, and management of bug and feature fix tickets.
- Ongoing Project Success: Helping manage requirements and coordinate changes for larger projects and ongoing support processes, including regular deployment checks, technical project coordination between plan and build, and advocacy for both client and developer needs. This includes a partnership with Blend’s technical strategist to help understand, maintain, and create requirements, test scripts, and stories.
- Client Training: Leading project and support training, including creating training videos, planning and leading training meetings, and ongoing process improvements around Blend’s training and project documentation process.
- Ongoing Improvement: Research and communication of testing best practices — including for accessibility and performance — and participation in the improvement of company processes around testing and QA.
This position, by nature of being a final stop on the way to a complete project, requires incredible attention to detail, but in a way that allows for the big picture to shine. It requires, at times, rigidity and flexibility. We are looking for the right person to build a process that balances communication between clients, developers, and project management.
Previous experience in a web testing environment is required. The successful candidate will possess the ability to:
- Identify and document expected site and user behaviors based on known design and functional requirements
- Define and mitigate complex issues, dependencies, and risks during test planning and during testing itself, including undocumented expectations based on best practices
- Document and maintain a record of changes (from technical documentation to wireframes and mocks) to the scope of a feature or project, ensuring that designers, developers, and project managers have an up-to-date view of the current expectations
- Understand web content modeling and common editorial workflow in order to test for user experience within the content management system
- Communicate and escalate deficiencies in code, infrastructure, or user interface design for resolution
- Document ongoing processes (and critically analyze those that don’t work) in order to improve testing effectiveness
- Maintain and communicate testing best practices, including ongoing site performance and accessibility testing
- Think big picture to help guide and shape the overall QA practice, from testing to ongoing performance to training
- Communicate clearly through oral and written means with Blend’s development team, project management team, and project clients and stakeholders
- Translate technical understanding and details into accessible training sessions and documentation for a non-technical audience
- Stay self-driven and accountable for tasks and reporting, including tracking time and managing workflow with project management
- Multi-task and easily shift gears
- Our Values
Blend believes that our clients deserve our honesty and integrity and that our office culture should reflect those values. We believe in five core values: passion, progress, integrity, advocacy, and authenticity.
Within the role of the QA Project Manager, you will work with the team and our clients in a way that reflects these core values. Passion for building great things on the internet. Progress in continuously furthering your knowledge base. Integrity to do the right thing, even if it means suffering negative impact. Advocacy in providing the right solution even if it's more challenging. Authenticity in never being afraid to admit to limitations and understanding that the right answer to a question is an honest one.
The successful candidate will be able to align with these core values, and in doing so our clients and projects will benefit.
- Competitive salary (based on experience)
- A formal profit sharing plan, paid quarterly after the first year and based on company profits
- Group health insurance offered through United Healthcare
- Simple IRA Plan with employer match
- Long-term disability insurance
- Three weeks paid time off
- Paid maternity & paternity leave
- 11 1⁄2 paid company holidays
- An employer-provided laptop for work and home use
- Opportunities for professional development
- Remote-friendly or on-site hybrid work environment